Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Winter of the Houseless Wanderer

And so, in the spirit of kicking this off with some images of some sort (to avoid the bland drudgery of having nothing on here if nothing else), I thought I'd throw up a few images of some stuff I've been tinkering around with lately. They're all done in ZBrush, which is my new all time favourite app. I actually bought a copy about 8 years ago at Siggraph, but sort of let it lie there, updating it from time to time (thanks to the AWESOME guys at +pixologic who have been providing free updates since then). Lately they're released features that just about make it the most awesome* application around today. ZRemesher and Dynamesh combined make it the most easy to use and flexible modelling package I've ever come across.

Anyway, on to some stuff I've made with it. First up is a study of a sculpt by the wonderful John Henry Foley (creator of the Daniel O'Connell statue in the centre of Dublin) called Winter Of The Houseless Wanderer. It's housed in the National Art Gallery of Ireland here in Dublin. As you can see, it's such a strong piece and is easily one of my favourite sculptures in the gallery. Soooo.... as you're allowed take photos there, I took a few with my phone...




... and a few days later did the following study of it based on those photos.



This is the result. The more I looked at it, the more I was in awe of the original piece. This was sculpted in ZBrush on Christmas day, and rendered in KeyShot. Getting a likeness was hard as this was my first attempt at classical sculpture, but I'm reasonably happy with it.


Anyway, hopefully you like it!


* (I've used that word twice now haven't I? - wellllll, it's totally warranted)

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home